There are no full-time positions available. See below for available internship opportunities!
Each year, Northwoods Wildlife Center hires 3 spring, 8 summer and 4 fall college student and recent graduate interns, interested in gaining more experience in the fields of wildlife rehabilitation, environmental education, and non-profit management fields. Interns work with injured and orphaned wildlife and educate the public through guided Center tours, while supporting the daily operations of a non-profit organization.
Interns are involved in all phases of wildlife rehabilitation, including emergency care, daily feeding and cleaning, medical procedures, on-call services, rescues, transports, and releases. This includes care of non-releasable ambassador animals kept at the Center for educational purposes. Interns work closely with Center visitors through daily guided tours and wildlife assistance phone-line, present ecology programs and may assist in educational programs given at area schools, camps, and other community events. Interns may also help in the development of future educational opportunities for the public, as well as aid Center staff on training of permanent animal ambassadors.
Housing is provided for Northwoods Wildlife Center interns – all interns are required to live on-site and share on-call duties for duration of internship. $75 weekly food stipend is also provided. Interns should have their own transportation, but a vehicle is provided for all Center business.
- Strong interest in wildlife and the environment, and a desire to increase public awareness through education. Students in Biology, Wildlife Ecology, Pre-Vet, Environmental Education, and related fields are encouraged to apply
- At least one year of college experience required
- Must be up to date on tetanus shot
- Rabies vaccinations, although preferable, are not required
- Must be able to work long days and in all weather and lift at least 50 lbs
- Must be able to dedicate entire internship season to position. Specific time off is not guaranteed.
|Start Date||April 19th||May 17th or 31st||August 15th or Sept 1st|
|Final Date||August 31st||August 21st or 31st||October 31st|
E-mail or mail cover letter, resume, copy of transcript (unofficial or official) and contact information for 3 professional references to:
Assistant Director of Education
Northwoods Wildlife Center
8683 S. Blumenstein Road
Minocqua, WI 54548
Applications should be sent as soon as possible for consideration as positions can be filled before deadlines.
- Spring: February 15th
- Summer: March 15th
- Fall: July 15th