Assistant Wildlife Rehabilitator
Northwoods Wildlife Center is seeking a full-time assistant wildlife rehabilitator.
Located in northern Wisconsin, surrounded by over a million acres of both national and state forest land, and thousands of fresh water lakes, rivers and streams, we are in a region that is home to an abundance of wildlife.
- Admit wildlife patients, perform triage, and conduct physical exams.
- Perform daily animal care and husbandry including feeding, cleaning cages, and administering medications.
- Work alongside veterinarians to develop and execute treatment plans for wildlife patients.
- Complete care and treatment records in both physical and digital forms.
- Supervise volunteers and interns in completion of animal care and clinic support tasks, assign duties and oversee projects. Ensure that protocols for infection/disease control are being followed by all.
- Ensure that all animals are being handled in a manner that maximizes human and animal safety, including the training of staff/volunteers on safety procedures.
- Ability to adapt to constantly changing situations, such as emergency transport/vet visits/injured animals/direct rescues.
- Assist with releasing rehabilitated patients.
- Respond to emails and phone calls from the general public, offering accurate knowledge on wildlife issues, and providing exceptional customer service.
- Assist in maintaining inventory and purchasing department supplies within budget guidelines.
- On-call at nights on a rotating schedule
- Perform after hours care of sick/injured/orphaned animals (heaviest workload from April-August).
- Return calls on the after-hours emergency phone giving guidance to people regarding sick/injured/orphaned wild animals.
- Provide input to animal care protocols and facility procedures.
- Responsible for compliance with required state and federal reporting, procedures, including annual admission/disposition statistics, drug usage reporting, and any other directives issued by agencies governing the animal care activities.
Bachelor's Degree (BA/BS) from a four-year college in biology, ecology, or a related field preferred. Will consider a Veterinary Technician associate degree. Relevant and direct experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- 1- 2 years of wildlife rehabilitation experience
- WI wildlife rehabilitation license, or willing to apply for Wisconsin wildlife rehabilitation license
- Euthanasia certification preferred, or ability to obtain certification within 6 months of employment.
- Must be vaccinated for tetanus. Rabies vaccination preferred, but not required.
- Capable of handling a demanding workload and long hours, seasonally.
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Must be a reliable team player, and also be solid to work independently.
- Must be able to lift/move a minimum of 50 lbs, and be able to work in all seasons, in any weather.
This is a full-time (seasonally varies 35-40+ hrs/wk), including some holidays, weekends, and evenings. Salary is based on experience and qualifications. Benefits include HRA (health reimbursement benefits), paid holidays, earned PTO, and sick leave.
Position Start Date: August 1, 2021 - September 1, 2021, depending on your availability.
Application Deadline: June 1, 2021, unless filled sooner.
To apply, email a cover letter, resume, copy of school transcript, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org