Home Videos & Photos

Former Residents

Unfortunatly our residents can't be with us forever. Here we can remember the ones that have passed on.


Named after the first line in the song "Joy to the World" Jeremiah was our American Bullfrog. He was brought to us, not from the wild but from another wildlife center. There he was housed with another frog, a larger female. For a while the arrangement worked fine until the female became territorial and wouldn't let Jeremiah eat. In June of 2011 Jeremiah was given a new home with us.

One of our quietest residents Jeremiah didn't do much during the day, usually sitting his favorite corner watching everyone walk by. However those of us who have cause to come into the center later in the evening could sometimes see him "sunning" on a log or paddling in the deeper water of his tank. He passed away September 15th 2012.


phoenixsmProbably the largest resident we have ever had, Phoenix was a female Alaskan Bald Eagle. Females Bald Eagles are large to begin with, but Alaskan eagles are even larger. With a wingspan of over six feet and weighing about seventeen pounds she was, for lack of a better word, huge.

She joined our facility December 22, 1998 after being kept illegally as a pet for the first several years of her life. She was kept in a large dog crate in a basement for over five years.

Imprinted and unable to fly she found a permanent home with us. Eventually she developed her wing muscles but she never lost her dependency on humans. She passed away late fall of 2009.


Bart-Barred_Owl_died_2011Bart the Barred Owl (and if you've paid attention to our staff member page, no Bart the owl was not named after Bart the person) was, by all accounts, one of the sweetest birds around.

Bart came to us December 18th of 1991 after being hit by a car. Unfortunately his elbow did not heal properly and he was unable to fly. However once settled into he his life here at the center he became a favorite on tour groups and educational programs. Bart died October 13th, 2011.


Side Note: In the process of building this webpage I have been consulting different sources for information about birds I've never met. This led to some confusion. One source said that Bart couldn't fly because he was hit by a car. Another said that he was an imprint kept illegally as a pet who could fly great and actually escaped twice. Huh?

Turns out there were two Bart the Barred owls. One was the Bart you met above, but the other was a Barred owl who came to the center and died before the seond Bart. (Have I confused you yet?)

I'm afarid I don't have much information about the first Bart. All of my information comes from "Wildlife Hospital" by Sybil Ferguson. It tells me that Bart was taken in by a woman who found him after a snow storm and kept (unknowingly) against the law as a pet. When he was confiscated he needed a new home and was given one here at the Northwoods Widlife Center. He was pressumed a male until one day he laid an egg. They tried to change her name to Barbie,but it never stuck. I'm afraid I don't know the dates for when she joined us or when she died.


Mauyak-Snowy_Owl_died_2011Snowy Owls are (in my opinion) the most striking bird of prey on the planet. There are others that may be more beautiful, or magestic, but no other species just makes you want to stop and stare as much as they do.

Unless they are akwardly walking along the ground. Mauyak was a male Snowy Owl who joined us January 1998 who dislocated his right elbow and had a scratch to his right eye. We think he may have been hit by a car. His injuries left him unable to fly and he spent most of his time on the ground or low perches. He was still striking but also a little akward looking.

Snowy owls are one of the few birds of prey you can tell male and females appart visually. Males are solid white while females have black horizontal dashes across their body.

Mauyak died November 3rd, 2011.



Orson the Great Horned Owl was the first educational bird here at the Northwoods Wildlife Center. In fact Orson joined our group the first summer that we opened our doors. Actually before we even had doors to open.

Orson joined our family April of 1982 after a run in with a skunk that left him with a flesh wound severe enough to detroy most of the muscle in his left wing. Eventually his wing hand to be amputated at his left elbow.

Orson calmed down considerably in his time at the center and paved the way for the numerous education animals we have had here over the years. Orson died spring of 2009.

Help our organization - use the button below to make a donation to the Northwoods Wildlife Center


All pictures owned and taken by NWC unless otherwise stated.  Copying prohibited without prior permission.


Support the center while you Search or Shop