Each year, Northwoods Wildlife Center hires 3 spring, 8 summer and 4 fall college student and recent graduate interns, interested in gaining more experience in the fields of wildlife rehabilitation, environmental education, and non-profit management fields. Interns work with injured and orphaned wildlife and educate the public through guided Center tours, while supporting the daily operations of a non-profit organization.
Interns are involved in all phases of wildlife rehabilitation, including emergency care, daily feeding and cleaning, basic medical procedures, transports and releases. This includes care of non-releasable animals kept at the Center for educational purposes. Interns also work with Center visitors, present brief ecology programs and may assist in educational programs given at other locations. Interns also help in the development of future educational opportunities for the public.
On-site housing and $75 weekly food stipend provided. Interns should have their own transportation, but a vehicle is provided for all Center business.
- Strong interest in wildlife and the environment, and a desire to increase public awareness through education. Students in Biology, Wildlife Ecology, Pre-Vet, Environmental Education, and related fields are encouraged to apply
- At least one year of college experience required
- Must be up to date on tetanus shot
- Rabies vaccinations not required, but preferred
- Must be able to work long days and in all weather and lift at least 50 lbs
- Must be able to dedicate entire internship season to position
Start: April 1st
End: June 1st
Start: May 17th or May 31st
End: August 21st or 31st
Start: August 21st or 31st
End: November 1st
E-mail or mail cover letter, resume, copy of transcript (unofficial or official) and contact information for 3 professional references to:
Assistant Director of Education
Northwoods Wildlife Center
8683 S. Blumenstein Road
Minocqua, WI 54548
Applications should be sent as soon as possible for consideration as positions can be filled before deadlines.
- Spring: March 15th
- Summer: April 15th
- Fall: August 15th